It would be great to be able to reverse the natural effects of aging, but until science catches up, we’ll just have to settle for slowing them down a bit. A healthy lifestyle means adequate exercise and proper nutrition: two things that are easy to neglect when life gets hectic. So, while we can’t get you to the gym every morning, we can inspire you to eat well!
Contact lens wearers, in particular, face challenges to eye health and comfort, but there are a variety of vitamins and nutrients that can protect against the natural effects of aging, as well as make day-to-day life a little more pleasant. Whether you’re trying to prevent dry eyes, or more degenerative eye diseases, we’ve prepared a series of recipes that just may help improve eye health and vision quality for contact lens wearers, starting with our spring salmon with gnocchi and veggies.
Some of the most important nutrients to maintain eye health are lutein and zeaxanthin, vitamin A, and omega 3 fatty acids… big words for some very common super foods. You’ll find the ingredients for all the recipes in our ongoing series easily at your local grocer.
|Prep time||15 min|
|Cook time||35 min|
|Key nutrients||Vitamin A helps protect the cornea, and may prevent dry eyes.|
|Omega 3 fatty acids can decrease the risk of glaucoma.|
- Bunch of Scallions
- Bunch of Carrots
- 1 large radish or 3-4 pcs kohlrabi
- 400 g fresh Spinach
- Olive oil
- 800 g Salmon (4 x 200g filets)
- 3 tablespoon mustard
- 400 ml low-fat cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
- Gnocchi (fresh or pre-cooked)
Let’s get cooking!
- Chop scallions, carrots, and radish (or kohlrabi) into small, bite-sized pieces, coat with olive oil, and then soften over medium heat. Add spinach leaves, cover, and continue to cook until tender. Add fresh lemon juice.
- Prepare gnocchi according to directions and set aside.
- Stir-fry, bake, or steam the salmon with olive oil and salt.
- Toss the vegetables with 400 ml low-fat cream, and stir in 3 tablespoons of mustard.
- Serve gnocchi, and top with creamy vegetable mix and salmon with fresh lemon juice.